What Are The Best Non Toxic Cleaning Products For Pets?
When we think of cleaning products we often think of overpowering odor and stinging eyes… Yuck. But with today’s newest products that rely on all-natural ingredients, things don’t have to be so toxic. This is also true for when we clean in and around areas where our pets hang out - mainly on the floor, on the sofa, in their dog beds, and in our bedding. Let’s look at some of the best non toxic cleaning products for pets.
“The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals found household products to be the sixth most common cause of acute toxicosis in pets during 2019. These include cleaning products, laundry detergent and paint.”
What Are Non Toxic Cleaning Products For Pets, What To Avoid and What To Look ForWhile many of these products aren’t specifically marketed for pets, they can be used on pet toys and accessories. But, there are a few non toxic cleaning products for pets that are exclusively for our furry family members. What we look for in a non toxic cleaning product are the lack of ingredients linked to toxic responses - cancer for example.
Ingredients To Avoid
- Phthalates: found in fragranced products like air fresheners, soap, and detergents. Companies do not have to disclose the ingredients that create a scent, therefore if the word ‘fragrance’ is included, the product likely has phthalates.
- Perchloroethylene or PERC: a neurotoxin and possible carcinogen found in spot removers, and carpet and upholstery cleaners.
- Triclosan: an antibacterial agent, and probable carcinogen, that can promote the growth of drug-resistant bacteria.
- Quarternary Ammonium Compounds or QUATS: an antimicrobial agent that causes respiratory disorders, often found in fabric softener liquids and sheets, as well as household cleaners labeled antibacterial.
- 2-Butoxyethanol: categorized as a glycol ether, which can contribute to narcosis, pulmonary edema, and severe liver and kidney damage, this ingredient is found in window, kitchen, and multipurpose cleaners, and has a characteristic sweet smell. It is not required to be included in the ingredient listing.
- Ammonia: this ingredient evaporates and thus leaves items, like pet toys and windows, shiny clean. However, ammonia stimulates asthma.
- Chlorine: found in many cleaning products, whiteners, and household tap water, this ingredient is a thyroid disruptor.
- Sodium Hydroxide: a form of lye, this product is often found in drain openers and used when pet hair clogs the tub. This ingredient can cause burns and inhalation problems.
What To Look For In Non Toxic Cleaning Products For Pets
- Simple, readable, and explainable ingredients.
- Fragrance-free or all-natural organic products.
- Unless prescribed by a veterinarian, avoid antibacterial soaps and cleansers.
- Avoid dog beds and bedding that requires dry cleaning.
- Replace fabric softeners with a white vinegar solution in your washer’s rinse cycle.
Non Toxic Cleaning Products For Pets That We RecommendAn environmentally friendly, eco-conscious company dedicated to making the healthiest, non-toxic, ecologically sound cleaning products available. Remember, your dog is near you all day - that's why we love the Ecover laundry detergent - safe, clean, and healthy. From cage cleaners, shampoos, wipes, and even skunk odor remover, Ecos plant-based pet cleaning products are some of the best. An enzyme-based pet cleaning product line, Nature’s Miracle has a long history when it comes to natural, non-toxic stain and odor products. This powerful, non-toxic pet odor eliminator and spot remover is enzyme based, biodegradable, cold press custom formula derived from the oil found in orange peels.
About FurSherpaThe leading dog health care and wellness resource, FurSherpa is a community of like-minded dog lovers who want to turn pet consumer habits on their heads! We challenge the notion that dogs are just pets. No! They are members of our family. That’s why pet parents want the best for their dogs. We read labels, we investigate ingredients, we help heal the earth while celebrating our dogs! We’re on a journey to find the best information, products, and brands, that are focused on your dog’s health and well-being. Our sole focus is to challenge the way we think about pet wellness – empowering you with an individualized dog wellness plan that results in game-changing buying practices.
Be kind to the earth. Be kind to one another. Be kind to animals. FurSherpa exists because you care.
More Dog Health and Wellness FAQs
- How To Tell When A Product Is Dog Earth Friendly, Green, and Natural?
- What Are Some of the Best Natural Pet Brands I Can Support?
- What Are The Best Non Toxic Cleaning Products For Pets?
- What Are Three Things I Can Do Right Now To Be A More Eco-Friendly Pet Parent?
- What Are The Best Green Dog Products?
- Is A Vegan Dog Collar Any Good?
- How Much Pet CBD Oil Should I Give My Dog?
- Are Dog Food Ingredients Contributing To Greenhouse Gases?
- What Is The Best Natural Dog Shampoo?
- Is Pet Cremation Harmful to the Planet?
- What Is Chicken Meal In Dog Food... Is It Natural?
- Vitamin E For Dogs - Why The Hype?
- Calcium Supplements For Dogs – Are They Necessary?
- Natural Treat? Try Peanut Butter Banana Treats!
- Wondering How To Deworm A Puppy Naturally?
- How Long Will My Puppy Poop Worms After Deworming?
- Give Me My Puppy Socialization Checklist (pretty please)!