Is Pet Cremation Harmful To The Planet
Cremation has been in practice for a long time. Pet cremation has as well, and it is very popular in the US often used as an alternative to burials. Pet parents gravitate towards cremation as they get to keep their pet’s ashes. However, we are often asked if pet cremation is harmful to the planet. To answer this question, let’s review cremation and investigate an alternative option.
What Is Pet CremationThe process of cremation takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending upon the size of the animal. Most veterinarians work with crematories that are specifically dedicated for pet cremations. A pet’s body is placed in a cremation unit where the temperature rises to 1400-1800 degrees Fahrenheit. Vaporization occurs, and ultimately the pet’s remains become a fine powder.
Cremation is generally considered to be more eco-friendly than an in-ground burial.Due to crematories' use of natural gas, the process does release greenhouse gases, as well as vapors from other chemicals that may be present in a pet’s body.
What Are The Alternatives?One of the newest alternatives to in-ground burial and pet cremation is aquamation. This method uses a natural process called alkaline hydrolysis - which uses a minimal 10% of the energy of a typical cremation. Also, with aquamation there are no air emissions. Alkaline hydrolysis relies on a water and alkaline method that naturally accelerates the decomposition process. To learn more about aquamation, visit our veterinary advisor’s Peaceful Waters Aquamation site. Losing a furry family member is difficult, painful, and downright horrible - we all go through this. However, what we gain and the love that we carry forward is such a blessing. With every dog we bring into our family we are richer for the experience.
About FurSherpaThe leading dog health care and wellness resource, FurSherpa is a community of like-minded dog lovers who want to turn pet consumer habits on their heads! We challenge the notion that dogs are just pets. No! They are members of our family. That’s why pet parents want the best for their dogs. We read labels, we investigate ingredients, we help heal the earth while celebrating our dogs! We’re on a journey to find the best information, products, and brands, that are focused on your dog’s health and well-being. Our sole focus is to challenge the way we think about pet wellness – empowering you with an individualized dog wellness plan that results in game-changing buying practices.
Be kind to the earth. Be kind to one another. Be kind to animals. FurSherpa exists because you care.
More Dog Health and Wellness FAQs
- How To Tell When A Product Is Dog Earth Friendly, Green, and Natural?
- What Are Some of the Best Natural Pet Brands I Can Support?
- What Are The Best Non Toxic Cleaning Products For Pets?
- What Are Three Things I Can Do Right Now To Be A More Eco-Friendly Pet Parent?
- What Are The Best Green Dog Products?
- Is A Vegan Dog Collar Any Good?
- How Much Pet CBD Oil Should I Give My Dog?
- Are Dog Food Ingredients Contributing To Greenhouse Gases?
- What Is The Best Natural Dog Shampoo?
- Is Pet Cremation Harmful to the Planet?
- What Is Chicken Meal In Dog Food... Is It Natural?
- Vitamin E For Dogs - Why The Hype?
- Calcium Supplements For Dogs – Are They Necessary?
- Natural Treat? Try Peanut Butter Banana Treats!
- Wondering How To Deworm A Puppy Naturally?
- How Long Will My Puppy Poop Worms After Deworming?
- Give Me My Puppy Socialization Checklist (pretty please)!